How TCM Treat Infertility In Men And Women?

Getting Pregnant Is Not As Simple As It Seems

Infertility refers to the inability of a couple to conceive after a period of 12 months or more albeit regular, unprotected sex. For women, infertility includes an inability to maintain the pregnancy to a live birth. Infertility affects about 15% of the couples in Singapore. Depending on the underlying cause of infertility, treatments can vary considerably, from Assisted Reproductive Technology (ART), such as In Vitro Fertilization (IVF), to simply changing diet and lifestyle.
Studies indicate that for every 4 couples who are trying to conceive, one of them will conceive successfully within one month. This means that a couple has a 25% chance of conceiving each month. On average, about 85% of the couples will conceive within one year of regular, unprotected sex. The remaining 15% are either sub-fertile or infertile.

How TCM Classifies The Types Of Infertility

Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) treatment of infertility began as early as 2nd Century BC. Thereafter, numerous established TCM practitioners recorded and consolidated their knowledge and experiences of treating infertility with different medical approaches, supplementing and refining the theories based on observations in clinical practice. During that time, there were no blood tests or ultrasounds to evaluate fertility and assess the causes of infertility. TCM diagnosis and treatments of infertility were based upon syndrome differentiation, which is a detailed analysis of signs and symptoms using the four TCM diagnostic methods, namely observation, listening/smelling, questioning, and tongue & pulse assessment.